Red, Baldy & The 'B'

Red, Baldy and the ‘B’

Sunday, May 04, 2008

A Three-Year-Old's View

O.k.- I'm exhausted from having Drill this weekend (and I no longer fit into my ACU's), and we just got home from spending the evening with Baldy's parents and family, but I keep wanting to blog this one conversation the B and I had a couple weeks ago...

B: So you're having a baby, huh Mom?

Me: Yep, what do you think it's going to be?

B: Well it HAS to be a girl!

Me: Well, what if it's a boy?

B: (With a horrified look and his hands clutching the sides of his face) But no, it can't be a boy, that would just screw up our whole family! (As he paces like a caged tiger)

Me: Why sweety?

B: Mom, you are a girl, Dad is a boy, I am a boy; now we need another girl so we match, hello?

Me: (Turning to my three year old trying to remember he's three as he gives me a 'duh' look) Well babe, we don't get to choose, we get what we get.

B: Well you better go talk to that doctor and tell him what we want.

Me: The doctor doesn't choose, God will give us what he thinks we should have.

B: Well then you need to go talk to God.

Ha! Yeah, he is three. And believe it or not, he and I have conversations like this all the time. I then reminded him how much I adored him and said if I were to have a bunch of boys like him I'd be the happiest Mom ever. Then he looked at me and said, "well, maybe a boy wouldn't be too bad, but I still think it should be a girl."

On Thursday we may get to find out. That's our next appointment and ultrasound. My doctor knows how neurotic I am, and since we're 1 for 5 in the pregnancy category; he's ordered an ultrasound each visit to maintain my sanity. I wish it were that easy.