Red, Baldy & The 'B'

Red, Baldy and the ‘B’

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bring on the Pink

O.k.- so on the 4th we found out we need to go shopping. It's a girl. On our way into the ultrasound I looked at Baldy and said, "You know it's a girl, right?" He immediately replied, "No, it's a boy, all of our kids will be boys." So once we got into the ultrasound room and the tech began to work her magic, she immediately said, "Do we want to know what it is?" We both said yes, and she congratulated us on our ability to agree on something, apparently we never agree on anything in her midst (she was also our tech during our NT testing). Anyway, our little girl was not a bit modest. I was shocked that I was right, and thought- what the hell am I going to do with a girl? Baldy's immediate reaction looked something more like, oh hell, I'm so in trouble and there isn't nearly a large enough shotgun to keep menacing boys away from my porch. So then I said to Baldy, "Well, the B got what he wanted," since the B has been telling me endlessly that we needed a girl. And to this my husband responded, "So did I, I got a baby." At which point you could already see him preparing to be wrapped around the pinky finger of his unborn daughter. By the time we left the ultrasound he was mush. This kid has so got him trained already and she hasn't even winked at him yet. I on the other hand, although thrilled to have a baby regardless of gender, was a little spooked.

See, I understand that I am a girl. But I never was a girly girl. I wear make-up, do my hair, whatever. But when I was a little girl, I had ONE Barbie, and I didn't even ask for her; it was a gift from my aunt. I liked her (liked the Barbie- I love my aunt), but I think I eventually blew her up with an M-80 in the gangway one day. The Barbie, not my aunt.

I have been part of many nieces lives. They are wonderful, but I was around a lot when they were little and still liked bugs and mud. Once the oldest niece was around 15-ish I was blowing stuff up in basic training, and from there on out I've been everywhere but home. I just worry about the 11 to 17 year age range. I was a good kid, but that's basically because I was good at not getting caught doing most of the stuff I would have been in a whole heep of trouble for otherwise.

When I told my mom it was a girl she was thrilled. But then I told her I was in a whole bunch of trouble since she had cursed all of us kids by saying "what goes around comes around." To which poetry rang from my mother's lips, "You were no where near as bad as you sister Kelly was." Hee hee. I then told her that she didn't know half of the stuff I shouldn't have done. Her reply: "Well, ignorance is bliss. But, since you know what she can get into, you'll be ready for it." That didn't comfort me too much, may have made me panic a little more. But then I thought, my little girl could be sitting in my shoes in about thirty years, talking to me like this telling me about how excited she was to have her baby. And thinking of that made me so ready for her.

I'll have to blog later about the B's response since it's getting late. At least the constant bickering between he and his father has stopped. Baldy and the B would pass in the hall and as they did Baldy would say, "It's a boy," which would make the B snipe back "You're wrong, it's a girl," and then cage fighting without the cage would ensue.

Ha, I'm having a girl, hee hee.